Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

National Bosses Day: I've Had The Best and The Worst

To compare bosses, this blog post will be both a rave and a rant!! Luckily for me, I've had more good bosses than bad. Unfortunately, my most recent boss was by far my worst...

When it comes to being an employee I'm going to toot my own horn and say that I've always exceeded at my jobs. I've always received excellent performance reviews, raises for a job well done and regular promotions. I give my jobs 100% and have always been praised by my bosses, and for the most part, always felt appreciated. I've worked for some very prominent attorneys in Phoenix involving high-profile cases and have always performed in a proficient, organized, thorough, professional and ethical manner (and always with a sense of humor!!), even though my jobs were demanding and a lot of times very stressful.  I've never been made to feel stupid or inadequate, until recently...

According to a popular website the following are attributes for a good boss:
  1. Fair
  2. Honest
  3. Understanding
  4. Approachable
  5. A good communicator
Thinking about my past bosses and this list of attributes, I realize that the 'best' of my bosses have had ALL of these attributes. That's amazing considering the case loads and responsibilities they've all had. I've always been treated like an 'equal' or 'partner' or a 'team member.' (Someone asked one of my bosses one time if I worked 'for' him and he said 'no, she works with me.')  When it comes to the bosses, I've been blessed. Until recently...

About 9 years ago, I left the legal field to pursue a career in behavioral health and direct care. I feel very passionate about caring for people and being an advocate for people with disabilities. (Trust me - it wasn't for the money!!)  This evolved into also caring for seniors. Ten months ago I went to work for a home health care agency as a CNA/Caregiver. Within a week I received a call from the owner of the company asking me if I would consider working as the Client Coordinator in the office. I took her up on it, as this seemed to be a perfect fit for me!! I would spend part of the time in the field doing Quality and Assurance visits, part of the time in the office handling issues and problem solving with clients and caregivers, training new caregivers, doing orientation for new employees when needed and being the assistant to the CEO (the owner). I was excited and enthusiastic and couldn't wait to start!! 

It took me approximately two weeks to realize that although I LOVED what I did, I LOATHED who I did it for. Was this woman for real?? How could someone in the business of caring for people be so UNCARING?  She doesn't possess one of the attributes of a good boss!! Nothing I did was ever enough or done the way she would do it (and her way is always right, even though I had to remind her a few times that what she was doing was unethical or unlawful). My clothes, hair and fingernail polish were critiqued on a regular basis and suggestions were made on alternatives. I was prompted on how to speak and told what was appropriate and not appropriate to say to clients even though clients, caregivers and case managers would praise me, my personality and the thoroughness and effectiveness of the job I was doing. It was a no-win situation for me (and anyone else that works for her).

I try to see the positive in people and find at least one good thing in everyone and focus on that. I tried this with her and couldn't find any positives to focus on. Needless to say, I no longer work for her. Now that I've had a couple of weeks to think back on some of the things I've witnessed her saying or doing, I can only feel sorry for her. I think she's so unhappy and dissatisfied with herself and her life that she has to try and make everyone around her miserable also. 

So...to my past bosses...

THUMBS UP TO:  WK, JM, DP, VL, DC, JB and BG, 

A HUGE THUMBS DOWN TO: PK






No comments:

Post a Comment