Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

My iPhone Apps

I finally relented a year ago and traded in my faithful and very adequate (I thought then!) cell phone for a 'smart' phone. This was scary for me! I'm not someone who you would consider tech savvy. I'm not the person my friends and family call asking for advice on what to buy or how to use it once they do buy it. But my daughters convinced me it was time to get 'smart.'  My daughter showed me the basics of using my phone - or so I thought!! First problem - how do I make a phone call??? I could get to my contact list, but where is that little green telephone looking button you have to push to initiate a call??? I finally had to send my daughter an email on the computer to find out how I could make a call. Ugh! My phone was smarter than me. Not good!! Needless to say, I mastered making and receiving phone calls and moved right along to texting. Which was much easier for me to learn.  A year later, I can honestly say, I don't know what I did before I had my smart phone.  I can leave the house and my laptop behind knowing that I am not going to miss anything!! I've downloaded (and sometimes immediately removed) countless apps to my phone. Here's a list of my current apps - categorized:

Preloaded (and not sure if they are even considered 'apps') but useful:

  • Mail - Love this! I can access all of my mailboxes from here. Receive, delete, respond...
  • Calendar - I use the notifications/alarms for this to remind me of upcoming events
  • Notes - Very, very useful. I use this mostly for when people tell me about good books they've read or movies they've watched they think I might enjoy!
  • Safari - I think this is my phone's web browser. I go to this app and then use google search
  • Weather - Not used much in sunny Phoenix, AZ, but it's nice to use when I'm traveling so I can see what the weather is like where I'm going
  • Maps - Couldn't live without it!!
  • Camera - Used almost daily!
Preloaded (not sure if they are even considered 'apps') and not sure why they are there:
  • iTunes - I think I know what this is for, however, I've never used it
  • Stocks - No clue and probably will never have a clue
  • Passbook - Seems complicated
  • Reminders - Isn't this what the calendar is for??
  • Newstand - I can't imagine reading a book or magazine on the iPhone screen!!
  • Videos - Can go away and I'd never miss it
Necessary for productivity:
  • RingCentral - The fax ma'am...just the fax
  • Credit Union - I can take pics of checks for deposit and never have to go to the bank!!!
  • Facebook - It's for networking!!
  • Twitter - Also for networking!
Strictly for Entertainment Purposes:
  • Pandora - Music, music and more music
  • Shazam - Never have to wonder who is singing again, because this will tell me! 
  • Scrabble - Hey, it's a brain game!
  • Words With Friends - Another brain game...
  • Foursquare - Helps my stalkers out tremendously...I check in at places for them
  • Video Poker - Helps pass the time when waiting in line.
  • I'd Cap That - My newest download and so entertaining...ads funny and amusing captions to your pics (sometimes the captions are x-rated though - use with caution around kids)
  • Instagram - A pic sharing app - I seldom use it and I'm not sure why I keep it
  • Voxer - Ugh!! My daughter uses this. It's like a walkie-talkie. Not sure of the purpose.
I know there are tons of other apps out there that would be helpful to me, so if you've got suggestions on must-have apps for iPhone, I would love to know what they are!!




No comments:

Post a Comment